It’s time for another round of sneaking into gorgeous people’s bathrooms to discover new amazing green beauty products.
International green beauty aficionadas, unite! While our last Green Beauty Faves moments took us to London, Moscow, Vancouver, and Berlin, our today’s guest is a former winemaker and a New Zealander who chose Amsterdam to be her European home. If you’re a long-term reader, you’ll remember her from this interview about exquisite natural perfumes.
Meet Frances, the founder of Abel
Frances Shoemack certainly has a holistic approach to both the quality and the presentation of fine things in life. An always stylish mum of two, a green enterpreneur on a mission to create the world’s finest natural perfume with Abel Odor, a globetrotter and an ingredient nerd – be honest, you are most curious to see her green beauty favourites!
FRANCES: MY GREEN FAVOURITES
“In doing this exercise I realised just how amazing the natural beauty world is right now!! Aren’t we lucky! Five or six years ago I was buying from such a small group of brands (who I still love!) and today I’ve had to limit to one product per brand because there are so many products and brands I love these days. So, from stage left:
- SURFACE Face Cream. A unisex face cream by new kids on the block Surface in Milan. Perfect all purpose and my husband loves it too, making it a great go to.
- SMPL SPF30 sunscreen. Again a newbie, this time Amsterdam based, making a lovely all natural sunscreen perfect for the whole family.
- HiRO (out of) space balm. The perfect cover up, I use as a concealer and foundation. Light but good coverage and it spreads beautifully.
- PATYKA cleansing foam and oil combo. The perfect facewash combination in my opinion! The oil feels beautifully nourishing and the foam really cleanses but without any hint of drying out.
- RMS beauty mascara. I should have mascara on subscription I order it so regularly! It’s the one product I don’t leave the house without (yes, even to yoga).
- Kjaer Weis refillable lipstick. Queen of luxury green beauty. These lipsticks are beautiful, I love the “Believe” for every day use. Just enough colour to add a little polish.”
- NCLA nail polish. I’m pretty rubbish at keeping my nails nice to be perfectly honest, but I do love a coat of paint every now and then and this black matt is lovely and stays put.
- Abel (Enough said!) Actually this one is Red Santal, which I’m adoring this Autumn, so warm and comforting.
- Susanne Kaufmann hand soap. I love lots of products from this brand, but the hand soap is one of life’s little luxuries. I keep it where my children and husband don’t use it!
- Lebon toothpaste in ‘le white’. My most recent green beauty discovery, this is another luxury I keep just for myself!
- e:botanical Kyss tinted lip balm. I’m using this handmade-in-Amsterdam beauty constantly as the weather turns. Protecting and pretty with a hint of colour.
- Rahua shampoo & conditioner. Has been a staple for many years and can’t see a time when it won’t be in our shower! I only use the tiniest amount once a week, so it lasts for ages.
- Soapwalla deodorant cream. Smooths on, has a hint of scent, and works all day. Perfect.”
MY BEAUTYCALYPSE DISCOVERY
“I was inspired by the recent article – Five Years Without Flying. It’s something I both turn a blind eye to most of the time, and grapple with on occasion. Between work and living on the other side of the world from family there’s nothing petit about my carbon air miles footprint.”
“I’m impressed you’ve gone five years without, and it’s a good reminder to be more conscious of it, I’m afraid it’s one of those “too hard”-feeling ones for me, but I know that’s just no excuse you’ve got some great tips there that I’ll be putting into practice!”