Forget socks and ties for guys, and uninspired mass-produced charms for girls. Here are some excellent ethical accessories and jewellery pieces + a one of a kind city tote to win.
Where do you find unique and special Christmas gifts for friends and family? And where to get ethical fashion gifts? Where to buy ethical jewellery?
Over the years, I’ve collected a small list of trustworthy ethical brands, adding a few newer brands this year. I hope you like my suggestions – make sure to follow all the (affiliate-free) links to the shops to discover more designs.
Just in time for Black Friday, eh? 😉
As a BEAUTYCALYPSE reader, you’re probably quite aware of the problems associated with unethical gold mining. The good news is:
1. Firework earrings, such a fantastic gift for any woman that loves some sparkle: the elegant 9 cm chain can be detached, letting you sport a pair of elegant star-shaped studs. Two in one? Count me in!
Note: while Swarovski is not a “green brand” and never have claimed to be, the sparkly fashion jewels come from a company that follows strict ethical and ecological guidelines.
Firework 2-in-1 earrings, €119, Swarovski
2. “Respect the beautiful” necklace, 100% ethical gold, with 10% of the proceedings going to the Earthbeat Foundation supporting ethical mining.
Available in blackened gold (“respect magic”, above), pink gold (“respect love”), white gold (“respect fairy tales”) – with the option of ordering a custom engraving in ethical yellow, white, pink or blackened gold.
Ethical gold necklace €499, custom engraving €595, Vieri
Tip: ethical fine jewellery is indeed quite expensive, so make sure to subsribe to the Vieri newsletter for discounts and special offers.
3. Custom earrings, 100% ethical silver.
You won’t be able to get this exact pair of 20ies inspired onyx earrings though because it’s a OOAK piece custom-made for Yours Truly 😉 but do check out my interview with Berlin-based ethical jeweller Inge Ohly to see if you find a piece you like.
OOAK onyx earrings, €60, bijohly
4. Slow Jo 03, this Swiss-made unisex watch doesn’t let you get the exact time. This paradox concept is actually amazingly relaxing for the literal slow living, and you can expect a detailed brand portrait soon.
Slow Jo 03, €280, 2 years warranty, Slow Watches
5. Ethical silver bookmark, ‘Tiffany 1837’ series. Tiffany & Co. have an outstanding sustainability ethics. The Tiffany silver collection is quite affordable and offers countless options for the most classy gifts for both men and women.
Bookmark, €140, Tiffany & Co.
6. Blackened steel bracelet, unisex, here with a “carpe that f-cking diem” charm, sold independently.
Bracelet, €59, different tongue-in-cheek charms €13 each. By Ést, found at manomama
Slow Fashion Accessories
Chic fashion accessories make for great Christmas gifts – if chosen well.
⭐️ My personal Christmas gift shopping tip: stick with a nice monochrome, two-tone or triadic colour theme when you shop, this will let you stay more focussed AND will enable you to discover pieces you could overlook otherwise. It’s just a cognition trick, but it works, promised!
1. Men’s boots by Wills London.
€109, found at avesu vegan shoes
2. June bucket bag. Organic jersey, PVC-free, phthalate-free, Oekotex-certified faux leather in the signature elegant look the Berlin-based vegan and eco-ethical fashion brand Lillika Eden are known for.
€125, Lillika Eden
3. Black and white scarf, unisex, peace silk.
Scarf, €149, Coccoon found at Abury | Ethically made in India special
4. Weekender in Forest Green. Can be worn as backpack. Organic cotton (GOTS), leather details, several compartments and a bright, contrasting lining.
Weekender Forest Green, €270, Qwstion
5. Cotton and cork mittens, unisex. Ethically made in Germany.
Mittens, €70, Myrka, found at Noveaux Magazine Shop
7. Bigbuc, men’s vegan ‘suede’ belt with rose gold buckle. Find many more colours and designs as well as women’s collection in the online shop of this brand-new label specialising in top quality faux leather/ suede belts.
8. One of a kind city tote bag ‘Tyre mark’, made of reclaimed upholstery fabric (inside and out) and reclaimed upcycled leather belts. This design was created by Toshka Berlin founder Iryna who long looked for fabulous mum-of-two-kids-level practical city bags and – crafty and creative as she is – ended up making one for herself. The rest is history: the unique designs now sell at a small Berlin concept shop at €180-260.
But the best part about this beauty is…
YOU CAN WIN SOMEONE JUST WON THIS TOTE BAG:
*CLOSED!* Winner: Irmgard K.
And now let’s start celebrating 😉 Toshka Berlin founder Iryna has generously offered this gorgeous, chic and practical city tote bag (40 cm high, 45 cm wide, with embossed leather belt handles) for one lucky BEAUTYCALYPSE reader to win:
WHO CAN ENTER THE GIVEAWAY?
To be eligible for the giveaway, you have to have been following BEAUTYCALYPSE via WordPress widget or email alerts before Saturday 12th November 2016 23:00 Central European Time.
❗️ If you haven’t been following, make sure to follow now for all the upcoming giveaways.
*CLOSED!* HOW TO PLAY?
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment below using the same WordPress handle or email you use to follow BEAUTYCALYPSE (emails in the email field are not disclosed; always use an email you actually read because I will need it to contact the winner).
The giveaway is open internationally and ends on 27th Nov 2016 12:00 Central European Time. The winner is chosen via random.org and announced on the blog.
BY ENTERING THE GIVEAWAY YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS & CONDITIONS: The giveaway is hosted independently and free of compensation by Beautycalypse.com, not affiliated with any company mentioned in this post and open worldwide. To enter, participants must leave a comment using the same handle or email address they use to follow Beautycalypse.com since the condition to be eligible for the giveaway is to be following Beautycalypse.com via WordPress or via email updates. The information collected from the contact form below is not shared, not sold, and used only to verify if the entry complies with the giveaway rules as well as to contact the winner. The giveaway ends NOVEMBER 27th 2016 at 12:00 CET (=UTC +1), the winner is chosen via random.org and informed on the same day. In addition, the winners will be announced with their first name in this post’s update. Each winner has to get in touch with me within 24 hours after my notice has been sent or published to provide her or his address, or another winner will be selected (check updates in this post). Prizes cannot be shipped to post-office boxes; shipping is free for the winner. The winner agrees that I need his or her address, email and physical, in order to take care of shipping. The prizes are unassignable, nontransferable, and may not be given, bartered, sold, or exchanged for cash or another prize. Errors and omissions excepted. All decisions are final, no right of appeal.